Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sheneneh = The Single White Man's Greatest Fear

Essence magazine posted commentary about the challenges black women face with online dating.
Referenced was Okcupid.com when it was mentioned that white men rarely list black women among their preferred choices. I have dating online however I've never been on Okcupid.com.
From my personal experience, on the general online dating sites (meaning those that are not niche sites), white men were the ones who contacted me the most and yes many of them on did not openly list black women among their choices. I think I've figured out why. Okay so if a white man is "wit the swirl" as Martin Lawrence has said, most of them, even the ones called, "white chocolate", have a fear of attracting "Sheneneh" or Jaime Foxx's "Wanda", yes, stereotypes are considered truth by some. I don't think that there is a politically correct or polite way to include that in your profile, so I believe they've decided to take the matter into their own hands. Can't say I blame 'em. By the way, I don't think black men are real fond of them either, at least not the ones I know.
Thankfully I've never really seen a real life "Sheneneh" but I've seen a few who've come pretty close!
What do you think is the real reason?

Sincerely,
Helen Willis, The Zebress


No comments:

Post a Comment